The great temple of the fishing village is the cathedral of Santander, a monumental group based on the place where originally a small medieval abbey was built, dedicated to the saints San Celedonio and San Emeterio, which acquired the rank of collegiate in the year 1131. The building, promoted by the abbot Juan Domínguez de Medina, consists of three clearly differentiated spatial areas, built throughout the 13th and 14th centuries. The first of these was the low church, current parish of El Cristo, a set of three naves separated by composite pillars and covered by recessed ribbed vaults, whose construction began around 1217. Under it there are Roman remains that can be visited. Then, around 1230, the high church was erected, which today corresponds to the Cathedral Basilica. Behind them lies the third sector of the Holy Martyrs: the cloister, which was built between 1312 and 1341. Over time, the temple underwent numerous contributions and modifications (choir, altar of the trascoro, chapels, new head, access door in the north wall …) that altered its original appearance and were oriented, from the eighteenth century, to the achievement of the seat of the bishopric, which was finally awarded by Pope Benedict XIV in 1754. The Santander fire of 1941 affected The Cathedral was declared a Historic Artistic Monument in 1931. Its reconstruction, inaugurated in 1953, was in charge of the architects José Manuel Bringas Vega and Juan José Resines del Castillo, who executed a project that mixed Gothic, Classicist and Herrerian elements. Baroque Later, other reforms and restorations took place in 1967 and 1990. Inside, it houses the relics of the Holy Martyrs, in two silver Renaissance busts, as well as a large and varied group of medieval, Renaissance, Baroque and contemporary art pieces. , among which include a hispanomusulmana pile of the thirteenth century that, according to legend, was brought to Santander by the Cantabrian sailors who took part in the conquest of Seville (1248) under the command of the admiral of Castilla Ramón Bonifaz, as well as the funerary monument of Marcelino Menéndez Pelayo, work of the author Victorio Macho.